Tribute for Debbie
It is with great sadness that we inform our community that we lost a member of the North Carolina Families United (NCFU) family on November 1st, 2020, Debbie Kanzig. NCFU received a great gift when it hired Debbie as our Business Manager in 2012. A spitfire even in the interview process and for all of her years, she added an unmistakable warmth to our office that was palpable. When she first started, she told us with certainty that she always kept work and personal life separate, but she warmed up to us right away and quickly became a loving and integral part of our world.
Debbie cared so much about NCFU’s mission to educate, support, and advocate for systems that enhance the lives of children, youth, and families with mental and behavioral health needs. Please read more about her incredible life here.
Debbie was meticulous and thorough, and fantastic at her job. She always told the best stories. Her sense of humor and loveable expressions boosted us through both good and hard times. She was compassionate and caring. She was a stellar business manager who loved to keep the staff in line. She was both the Auntie and the momma of the office – and her husband, children, and grandchildren were everything to her. Debbie was deeply loved, revered, and respected across the state.
Debbie did not wish to have a funeral service at this time, but told us towards the end of her life that she would love people to consider supporting the work of NCFU in lieu of sending flowers or plants. If you would like to reach out to the family directly, you can contact email@example.com for their address.
Your struggle is part of your story
North Carolina Families United is the Statewide Family Network and the State Chapter of the National Federation of Families.
NC Families United is a family support and advocacy organization for children and youth with mental health and/or intellectual and developmental diagnoses. Our mission helps us to:
- Link families to State and community partners for the purpose of improving the lives of children, youth, and families with emotional, behavioral, or mental health needs;
- Focus active attention on the unique strengths and needs of these children and their families by educating and advising policy makers, service providers, other advocacy organizations;
- Actively promote policies and procedures that serve the best interests of these children, youth, and their families through work with State and local officials;
- Actively promote, model and adhere to the values and principles of System of Care.
Services available for North Carolina families, family organizations, system of care sites, and family partners:
- NC Families United can help link families to services that include mental health, physical health, social services, and educational needs in their communities.
- NC Families United can work with local community family organizations to provide 501c3 mentorship, linkage to nonprofit small business associations, and support and help with local grant development to help grow local family organizations.
- NC Families United works with System of Care grantees to help bring Family Driven Technical Assistance to the funded project. We can help you construct your grant with family-driven input.
- NC Families United mentors and supports all North Carolina Family Partners. We encourage all Family Partners to join our bi-monthly group to discuss and develop the position of Family Partner. All Family Partners, Family Advocates and Parent Partners from all systems and agencies are welcome to join our group. NC Families United supports ALL Family Partners, Family Advocates and Parent Partners.
- NC Families United mentors youth transitioning into adulthood. We can provide one-on-one mentorship for youth struggling with mental health issues to get through school and into adulthood in their communities.
- NC Families United hosts an annual Youth Leadership Series. We train leaders of tomorrow today. If you are a youth ages 14-21 who has struggled with mental health issues and you want your voice heard, join our leadership group.
- Youth who have had mental health or behavioral challenges are encouraged to join Youth M.O.V.E. NC. Youth M.O.V.E. NC is NC Families United’s statewide youth leadership group.